commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [all] Splitting the mailing list
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:18:59 GMT
This proposal has merit, in that it allows the main dev list room to
breathe for discussion, which should be its primary purpose. It also has
a very clear benefit in mail archive - in fact its really pretty
essential for that.

Some of the negative respones have focussed around what the needs of
committers are, but I'd argue that we should be focussing on the needs
of the 'users' - ie those who want to follow commons discussions, maybe
chip in occasionaly, but are not interested in contributing/commiting.
An excess of what can feel like spam will put some of these people off.

The proposal suggests two new lists, but I'd argue thats unecessary. One
for svn, jira, wiki and gump is all thats needed. Basically everythng
that is non-discussion and *might* be regarded as 'spam'.

So, +1 to one new list, commons-auto? commons-build?, commons-gen?

Or perhaps this should be a jakarta-wide list if we are one-jakarta ;-)

Stephen