commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Splitting the mailing list
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:34:47 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 21:53 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
>> I had a thought just now on the multiple list concept - and a positive
>> reason for splitting the lists in general. By having lists for
>> commits, jira, wiki, ci etc filters become a lot, lot easier. Much
>> easier for someone to come up with a list of commits they're
>> interested in and we can have people who are interested in their own
>> defined groupings while having to still see the general dev
>> discussions as they come through.
>
> One problem is that of temporarily unsubscribing. We've all regularly
> seen what happens when someone goes on holiday for a few weeks and sets
> their email to auto-respond "out of office" without unsubscribing from
> these lists first.

This depends on how the mail server is set up. At my day job the
auto-responder only kicks in if the mail is addressed directly to me. If
the To: header contains something other than my address, for example the
address of a mailing list, it just doesn't send an auto-reply.

<snip/>

--
Dennis Lundberg