commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [io] Regexp filter - help wanted
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:27:52 GMT
The regexp file filter has been excluded from [io] releases as [io] is
JDK 1.2 compliant, see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-74.

It would however be possible to use reflection to access the JDKs regexp
facility. Is there anyone, perhaps who is looking to contribute to
commons for the first time, who would be interested in seeing if this
approach is viable, and what performance penalty it carries?

Obviously the reflection solution involves using Strings to find if the
java.util.regex.Pattern exists, and then using reflection to call its
methods.

Note that there is an alternative of using ORO, but I believe we should
stick with the 'no dependencies' rule for [io] (even one that would be
optional). And we should at least examine the releaction option.

Stephen