commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [finder] Switch from java.util.FileFilter to Commons IO's IOFileFilter
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:57:13 GMT
> On 7/22/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > > Anyway the upshot of it is I think we should switch finder from using
> > > java.util.FileFilter to IOFileFilter and plug in the implementations
> > > that are currently available in IO 1.2.
> > >
> > > Any objections?
> >
> > I guess my POV is known on inter-commons dependencies - they are best
> > avoided for a whole heap of reasons. However we don't seem to be able to
> > agree on a consensus opinion on this subject.
>
> My thinking is to encourage dependencies until a release gets close -
> then to question them. In this case it's going to be good as much of
> the code in Finder will either vanish completely or be donated to IO.
> That'll leave a much smaller API and I suspect then it might be
> something that looks desirable for IO again. If not though - it'll
> still be ready for release as its own component.

+1 I know your original goal was to emulate the Unix find command, but
for me I'm less wedded to unix's implementation and more to the
concept of navigating. I read this wrt to unix find:

 "if you use the whatis command to see what it does the answer may
surprise you - 'walk a file hierarchy'".

IMO an implementation of that concept would IMO be a good addition to IO.

Niall