commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] maven group ids
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:22:43 GMT
> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
<snip/>

> > Do we want to do this? Shouldn't we transition all of Commons together
> > (as Tomasz implies in previous post, and just like we did with the
> > JIRA transition). Suboptimal if folks have to look up which components
> > have migrated yet, there are different groupIds for Commons components
> > in the same POM etc.
>
> We should do all of commons, I agree, but I think it would be wise to
> start with one component and see that everything works as expected. Then
> we do the rest all in one big transition.

<snap/>

OK, I know there was a talk about a "test" repo, has that come about?
We could also deploy the previous release (old groupId) and current RC
(new groupId) to such a test repo as a dry run, if one is available.

> > Now, the relocation guide below (thanks for that!) talks about
> > resigning POMs etc., which basically means we need everyone who has
> > signed a Commons release (POM) to participate here?
>
> While writing the guide I talked to Carlos about re-signing poms, and he
> had never done that. So I don't think that it is necessary for us
> either. What we do is add a relocation section to the pom, nothing else
> is touched. Do we sign commons poms that goes to the Maven repo? I had a
> look in the repo before and got mixed results.

<snip/>

AFAIK, nothing should go into any of the Apache Maven repos unless its
summed and signed. Commons has no particular privilege here, in fact,
we should ensure that all artifacts are accompanied by appropriate
metadata (I don't mean metadata.xml in the m2 sense). There are
existing sums and sigs on some POMs atleast. It appears that even if
its just a relocation section, it needs a resum and resign. If the
consensus is that this adds an overhead for too many people, and is
hence optional, thats another thing.

-Rahul