commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] Release Candidate for 2.0
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 01:46:03 GMT
Rory Winston wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have done some work on a JDK 5.0 branch of Commons::Net. This may form
> the basis of a 2.0 release. Releases for earlier JDKs can continue along
> the 1.x branch. The major changes in the 2.0 branch are:
>
> * FTPS (SSL/TLS) support has been added
> * FTPClient doesnt extend TelnetClient any longer
> * The build now uses Maven 2
> * [net] is now standalone - no external dependencies outside the JDK itself
> * One new FTP parser (Netware) has been added, and the MVS parser has
> been heavily updated
> * A mini "FTP-only" jar (~ 90k) is available for clients who just need
> FTP functionality
>
> A full list of changes can be found here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/changes-report.html
>
> I have made the distribution (*unsigned* as yet) available for inspection:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/
>
> And the site is available:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/
>
> Some more docs are yet to be added. Any feedback appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rory

Thanks, Rory, for this great contribution.

I especially like the idea of the FTP-only jar.
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but do you have a rough idea of how
many of these changes may be possible to backport to the 1.x tree?  At my job
I'm STILL not able to use jdk 5.0 and I expect that there are many still in this
boat.

Steve Cohen