commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: the best way to get involved?
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:50:19 GMT
On 10/29/06, Alex English <aenglish80@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Everybody!
>
> I am new to the commons as a developer, but I have been using the
> libraries for a while now, and I would like to give something back.
>
> My question is this - what areas are most in need of maintenance or
> improvement? I have gone through the bug database, and it seems as if
> much of what is there is either already fixed or very outdated.

That tends to be the way of it - either a component is languishing and
needing some love or people are moving along with the next version.

Both situations can benefit from your time.

The following email from Alan Canon on DbUtils is a good example of
how to go about the former -
http://www.nabble.com/-dbutils--What-are-requirements-for-a-1.1-release--No-recent-project-development.-tf2516245.html#a7020244
. It can be tricky to work on a languishing component as you'll be
prodding someone with commit access to apply patches for you. I'd make
sure that I had a definite volunteer to be prodded a lot before diving
in on this.

For the latter,  the best way is to check out the JIRAs and start
adding patches, confirming unit tests, asking questions and making
suggestions.

> Any suggestions? Requests?

BeanUtils is definitely in need of love. A big subject at the moment
in general in Commons is moving to JDK 1.5, so for some components
(like maybe BeanUtils), there are some larger design questions about
what could be done to make it fit better at 1.5.

Hen