commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [commons-parent] m2 profiles for PuTTY?
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:05:47 GMT
On 12/10/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/10/06, Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Using profiles to provide two different options makes perfect sense to
> me. I
> > see no need to proscribe a "one size fits all" solution that may be
> > non-optimal for many folks when there is a simple means of providing two
> > alternatives that allows for each person to select their preferred
> solution.
>
> We aren't talking about "joe average profile" here. In particular the
> "release" profile is *the* profile, which is responsible for
> deployment settings.
>
> I have no objection against duplicating the distributionManagement
> part, so that others may switch to a different deployment scheme. But,
> as I said, this profile does more than simply selecting the deployment
> target. It is also responsible for adding the "source" and "javadoc"
> archives. In the future, it might add additional reports or do more.
>
> Duplicating the most important part of the POM (and maintaining both
> source and duplicate in the future) seems to me to be bad practice, at
> least if you aren't forced to do it. I do not see that we are forced.

I didn't say anything about duplicating anything. Why can't we split out the
scp-related part into separate profiles, one for scp and one for scpexe?
That way, you could choose "mvn -P release,scp" or "mvn -P release,scpexe"
depending on your preference. That way, all of the stuff you're concerned
about stays in one place, in the 'release' profile.

--
Martin Cooper

Jochen