commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introducing commons-skin
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:15:09 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:

>> Looks good - nice work :)
>>
>> Only bit that leaps out to me as missing are the little arrows to
>> symbolize external links. We may not care.
>

> Actually, I like those. :-)

There's no built-in support for these arrows. I'm going to ask over in
Maven-land if it can be done with a custom Velocity template.

> A couple of things I noticed:
>
> * The "Docs for 2.2" is missing. Personally, I think it's important to know
> the version that I'm looking at, so I hope that can be put back.
>
> * The current page now shows in the menu as black, and looks the same as a
> menu heading. Previously it was bolded blue, which made it a distinct style
> from other items and from the headers.

I managed to fix both of these. A new staged site can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-lang2/

This time all the common bits for the site.xml is inherited from
commons-parent. New versions of commons-skin and commons-parent has been
uploaded to the snapshot repo, if someone want's to try it.

Now I'm going to start converting the sites in the sandbox to use
commons-skin, unless someone stops me...

> Other than that, they look a lot alike. ;-)
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

> Definitely don't care  that 'About Lang' is gone; and I'm not bothered
>> that 'Development Process' is gone either. I presume these are
>> standard Maven things that have gone from m1 to m2.
>>
>> Hen
>>
>> On 12/27/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Finally I took the time to sit down and create a Maven 2 skin for
>> > Jakarta Commons. What I have done is taken maven-classic-skin and
>> > combined that with the stylesheet rules that can be found in the
>> > site.xml file in commons/trunks-sandbox. Then I played around with the
>> > site for commons-lang to try to create a site that resembles what we
>> get
>> > when we build the site using Maven 1.
>> >
>> > A SNAPSHOT of the skin has been uploaded to the Apache M2 SNAPSHOT
>> > repository, so you don't need to build it yourself to try it. You may
>> > need to tweak some files in your component to be able try out the skin.
>> > Instructions for this is on the wiki [1]. They should really be in SVN
>> > along with commons-skin, but I figured we should use wiki to get things
>> > started.
>> >
>> > To make it easier for you to review I have staged the commons-lang site
>> > that was generated using Maven 2 and commons-skin [2]. Compare it to
>> the
>> > original commons-lang site [3] and give me some feedback.
>> >

>> > [1] http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/UsingCommonsSkin
>> > [2] http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-lang/
>> > [3] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/lang/
>> >
>> > --