commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [transaction] JDK 1.3 compatibility
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:29:30 GMT
On 12/27/06, Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when playing around with commons transaction I did a test compile with
> JDK 1.3. I wonder if we can still claim that 1.3 is the minimum requirement.
>
> One bug in the build.xml I fixed already [1]. But you still can't
> compile commons transaction with JDK 1.3 as it fails for ResourceManager
> extending javax.transaction.Status being JDK 1.4 compiled. Even
> compiling it with 1.4 and just running with 1.3 will fail as long as you
> don't provide the jta classes compiled with 1.3 - and I wonder if that
> exists.

<snip/>

I think there should be 1.3 compatible binaries for JTA (as part of
J2EE 1.3 compat requirements). Perhaps its just a matter of finding
them or pinging the project that is producing the ones you are using.

> I don't see a problem if it would be only the jta/jca stuff requiring
> 1.4, but would like to see it clearly separated in the source tree then.
> (side note: How do other commons projects handle this?) But with
> ResourceManager and javax.transaction.Status that's not possible.

<snap/>

Niall's handling of [validator] [1] is a recent example aimed at
changing the minimum JDK requirement (and potentially maintaining more
than one lines of development based on that, if there is interest).

-Rahul