commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [COLLECTIONS] status of 1.5 branch
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:39:58 GMT
Maybe we should set up a wiki page to discuss this 1.5 problem for
collections (and maybe other projects).  We should outline why we have
been reluctant as of yet to "genericize" collections (binary
compatibility, serialization issues, etc.).  That way folks don't have
to try to search through the archives or try to remember (I'm having a
hard time remembering the whole conversation) all the details.

On 10/25/07, Brian A. Egge <brianegge@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the status of the JDK 1.5 branch?  It seems the developers are split as to if
it's a good thing, and if so, if the API should be different or the same.  Most advice I see
says to use the collections15 project on SourceForge.

> What I would like, is a drop in replacement, with binary backwards compatibility with
the 1.4 version.  I want everything in the same package name, and to have the same names.
 If there are some additional methods, then that would be ok.  Basically, I found upgrading
the JDK collections has been rather painless.  My 1.4 projects work fine in 1.5, and if I
want to change my code to use generics I can.  Eclipse even will help me out with this.  Because
Java decided to use type erasure, it's possible to have a library with generics, that works
identically to one without.

> I ran clirr against the 1.5 branch, comparing it to the 3.3 snapshot in the trunk.  It
reported 93 differences.  I'm happy to spend some time creating patches for this project,
if there are other people (read committers) who have the time to review and apply the patches,
and also share my vision of a compatible library.

> Commons Collections is one of the most popular components within the Commons project,
and the main use of generics is within container classes, so I think it would be a real benefit
to get this project up to date.