commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] artifactId on the 2.x branch
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:24:07 GMT
simon a écrit :

> There is a slow process of migrating commons libraries from the old
> style of groupId to a proper groupId of org.apache.commons. This
> migration is also happening for projects where no incompatible changes
> are being made, ie is just a "namespace cleanup".

I understand that the group change in general is not correlated to a
package change, but I don't think it's a reason to force a name change
if it's not necessary from a purely technical point of view (that's
Maven/Ivy issues)

> Using an artifactId of commons-config is possible, but what if there is
> another change at some time in the future that is again so significant
> that it is necessary to permit installation of old and new code in
> parallel? [Well, by then Java might have a mechanism for handling this
> built-in (like .Net), so it might be a moot point..]

Maybe, or we could switch back to commons-configuration at this time ;)
Hopefully this is not going to happen soon. We gathered a great deal of
experience since 2004 with the 1.x line, I expect the 2.x line to last
much longer.

Emmanuel Bourg