commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons download pages are out of date
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:41:33 GMT
On 21/11/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 21/11/2008, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:17 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  > On 21/11/2008, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>
>  >> <snip/>
>  >>
>  >> >>
>  >>  >>  [1] http://commons.apache.org/downloads/download_scxml.cgi
>  >>  >
>  >>  > AFAIK, this one is auto generated from
>  >>  >  /commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/downloads/downloads.xml
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> <snap/>
>  >>
>  >>  Correct.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  >>  [2] http://commons.apache.org/scxml/download_scxml.cgi
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Where does this one originate?
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Duplicate cgi files are not really a problem, as they should all be indentical.
>  >>  > It's the html files that contain the version numbers.
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> <snip/>
>  >>
>  >>  Off bits in the m2 pom. See the Commons build plugin's site [1] (in
>  >>  particular, commons:download-page goal).
>  >>
>  >
>  > I could be wrong, but this does not seem to support multiple versions
>  > on the download page.
>

> It doesn't.
>

>  > These are needed for several components, e.g.
>  > Collections and NET currently.
>

> I think we only need to show the latest version - there are links to
>  browse the archive for older versions.

I'm not sure I agree that only the current version is needed.

>  > Also potentially for any component that releases a non-final (e.g.
>  > BETA) release.
>

> Doesn't happen that often - can only think of BeanUtils in the last
>  few years and a link could be put on the home page to the download
>  area for betas.
>
>  Besides being better as part of the component sites and easier to
>  maintain - one of the other motivations for the plugin generated one
>  was so that if/when we get rid of the m1 build for the main site, we
>  had an alternative mechanism for generating download pages. m1 is
>  becoming a problematic since people don't use it and it doesn't work
>  on JDK 1.6 for me. I think we should get a working m2 site for commons
>  and switch to these new download pages.

I agree that it is useful for component sites to be able to maintain
their own download areas, but I don't agree that they should only be
able to display the current release.

It may make it easier to generate and maintain, but it's harder for
users in certain cases.