commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Commons SCXML 0.9 RC1 available
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:20:54 GMT
On 25/11/2008, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 4:35 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  <snip/>
>  >

> > Surely Maven will use either whatever the JDK provides or whatever the
>  > POM specifies?
>  >

> <snap/>
>
>  Yes.
>

>  > I did some more tests, and if I add xercesImpl and xml-apis to the
>  > dependencies, then Java 1.4.2 no longer reports any serialisation
>  > errors. This suggests that (some) Java 1.4.2 xml classes are not
>  > serialisable whereas Java 1.5.0+ are serialisable. Further, this
>  > suggests that SCXML will not be serialisable on Java 1.4 unless
>  > additional dependencies are provided.
>  >
>  > Have you not seen the serialisation errors when testing on Java 1.4.2?
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  I mostly use the IBM JDKs for development, testing and deployments.
>
>  I just reminded myself by trying various JDKs, here is the run down:
>  1) IBM JDKs use Xerces (which has a serializable impl)
>  2) Sun 1.5+ use an internally packaged Xerces

AIUI, the version in the JDK has not kept up with all the fixes.

>  3) Sun 1.4 uses the now largely defunct Crimson
>
>  So, if and only if:
>  a) the usage needs serializability (not all library uses do), and
>  b) a DOM impl that isn't serializable is in use (such as Crimson)
>  then it'd be necessary to switch to a more helpful parser.
>
>  In any case, the tests are meant to spew copious warnings to remind
>  folks when the above is true, but they are not designed to fail since
>  there is nothing in the library source that needs changing.

Agreed that the source is not at fault - it is the test environment
that is at fault.

However, it means that the test does not exercise all the library code
- it might fail to pick up genuine faults - so I think that should be
regarded as a test failure.

The failure message should make it clear that the problem lies in the
environment.