commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons download pages are out of date
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:51:46 GMT
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/11/2008, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:17 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > On 21/11/2008, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>
>>

>>  >>  [1] http://commons.apache.org/downloads/download_scxml.cgi
>>  >
>>  > AFAIK, this one is auto generated from
>>  >  /commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/downloads/downloads.xml
>>  >

>> <snap/>
>>
>>  Correct.
>>

>>  >>  [2] http://commons.apache.org/scxml/download_scxml.cgi
>>  >
>>  > Where does this one originate?
>>  >
>>  > Duplicate cgi files are not really a problem, as they should all be indentical.
>>  > It's the html files that contain the version numbers.
>>  >

>> <snip/>
>>
>>  Off bits in the m2 pom. See the Commons build plugin's site [1] (in
>>  particular, commons:download-page goal).
>>

> I could be wrong, but this does not seem to support multiple versions
> on the download page.

It doesn't.

> These are needed for several components, e.g.
> Collections and NET currently.

I think we only need to show the latest version - there are links to
browse the archive for older versions.

> Also potentially for any component that releases a non-final (e.g.
> BETA) release.

Doesn't happen that often - can only think of BeanUtils in the last
few years and a link could be put on the home page to the download
area for betas.

Besides being better as part of the component sites and easier to
maintain - one of the other motivations for the plugin generated one
was so that if/when we get rid of the m1 build for the main site, we
had an alternative mechanism for generating download pages. m1 is
becoming a problematic since people don't use it and it doesn't work
on JDK 1.6 for me. I think we should get a working m2 site for commons
and switch to these new download pages.

Niall