commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Commons SCXML 0.9 RC1 available
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:06:25 GMT
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:40 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
>
> I've just seen the error again.
> I updated the fail() message to fail(e+e.getMessage()) so I got a bit
> more information:
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Test set: org.apache.commons.scxml.model.ModelTestSuite
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Tests run: 78, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 3.876
> sec <<< FAILURE!
> testDatamodelNamespacePrefixedXPaths(org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest)
>  Time elapsed: 0.125 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: java.lang.NullPointerExceptionnull
>        at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest.fireEvent(DatamodelTest.java:195)
>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest.runtest(DatamodelTest.java:171)
>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest.testDatamodelNamespacePrefixedXPaths(DatamodelTest.java:114)
>
> I think the fail(e.getMessage()) calls need to be updated to something
> more useful, as the current code swallows all the useful information.
> In test cases it's best to let the code throw an Exception - only
> expected throwables should be caught by test cases.
>
<snap/>

Yup, that pattern needs to be changed throughout the test cases.


> I did this, and ran the test a few more times, and now I get:
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Test set: org.apache.commons.scxml.model.ModelTestSuite
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Tests run: 78, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 3.906
> sec <<< FAILURE!
> testDatamodelNamespacePrefixedXPaths(org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest)
>  Time elapsed: 0.125 sec  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest.fireEvent(DatamodelTest.java:194)
>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest.runtest(DatamodelTest.java:181)
>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.model.DatamodelTest.testDatamodelNamespacePrefixedXPaths(DatamodelTest.java:115)
>
> It looks like the testExecutorSerializability() method is returning
> null, though I'm not sure why as it appears the file is generated and
> read OK. I replaced the File I/O with ByteArray I/O and I did not get
> the error, though I did not test very many times
>
> When I run the test on 1.4.2, I get a lot of messages:
> SERIALIZATION ERROR: The DOM implementation in use is not serializable
>
> This is possibly because the DOM implementation is being provided by
> the JDK, as I don't get it with JDK 1.5.0 or 1.6.0.
>
> Does JDK 1.4.2 require additional dependencies?
>
<snip/>

No, its actually the other way around (for example, we require Xalan
for XPath support if its greater than 1.4).

What you are seeing is probably more a statement about what xml-apis
Maven is using when running the tests (at some point they started
pegging the xml-api versions IIRC).


> I think the test suite should be improved to give more details if/when
> errors occur. At present errors are quite difficult to track down.
>
<snap/>

Agreed, as proven by this thread. We should track this via a JIRA
ticket (I suggest fix version v0.10) and subsequent improvements to
the tests, Javadoc and FAQ as necessary.

-Rahul

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org


Mime
View raw message