commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Commons SCXML 0.9 RC1 available
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:39:42 GMT
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> I'm not saying that the tests need to be fixed for 0.9, however I
> think they need to be fixed for any subsequent release. I'm happy to
> provide patches and/or update trunk to achieve this.

<snap/>

Always great to have help :-) Oh, and trunk as well as J6 branch please.

Now, lets discuss the proposed fix.

> IMO, it's important that tests can be run using some form of CI (e.g.
> Continum or Gump) and for the tests to report a failure if there are
> any problems. Therefore it is important that any testing errors are
> reflected in the final testing status, not just in the debug output.

<snap/>

Yes, but the DOM serialization is optionally required (so if someone
wants to use JavaScript as the expression language in SCXML documents
-- or JEXL, or EL, or many of the others available via the
javax.script APIs in JDK 1.6 and procedurally inject the root
datamodel, then it doesn't matter if the DOM implementation is
serializable -- so they should be able to build).

> Further, if the test is run on a supported version of Java (e.g. Sun
> Java 1.4) and some of the tests for that version of Java cannot be
> run, this should be regarded as a test failure.

<snip/>

Or a big honking warning, saying additional JDK configuration will be
needed if a particular optional feature and additionally its
serialization are needed as well.

To clarify again -- the tests can be run, functionality can be tested.
Serialization isn't done for some tests (and for completion, other
tests that don't use <datamodel> are run and also tested for
serialization).

My preference would be to talk code going forward, happy to discuss
suggested patches in JIRA.

-Rahul