commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] 3.0, what's in; what's out
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:26:32 GMT
On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Gary Gregory
<GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]
_some_ of our [lang] Enums to Java 5 enums but we will probably not get around to fixing everything.
Unlike migrating to chained exceptions, migrating to J5 enums is not trivial. While our HEAD
code has already moved to Java 6, we are sitting on a huge pile of legacy code. It would be
a shame for us to be stuck on [lang] 2.x as we modernize the rest of our code with generics
and other APIs. So for now, keeping emums would help, perhaps in a separate package?

> I suppose we could have both 2.x and 3.x on the classpath... Now that I think about it,
we might have to just to satisfy some third party dependency. Hm.

They're in the backcompat location. Someone with the itch will need to
develop a build/release around it, but it's unlikely to be very hard.

I didn't move deprecated things over.

I also didn't move the NestableException code over. I'll get that
branched over now as it seems like a likely backcompat desire.

Hen