commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JEXL] towards 2.0 release, code freeze ?
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:44:29 GMT
On 28/07/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Henrib<hbiestro@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > After JEXL-60 is reviewed & committed, it seems Jexl-2.0 could reach code
>  > freeze.
>
> <snip/>
>
>  Cool, so (as I just asked in JIRA) you're done with that patch for a bit? :-)
>

>  > All 1.1 pending bugs would be fixed, enhancements requests & new features
>  > are in (assignment, ternary operators, UnifiedJEXL, constructor) and
>  > micro-benchmarks seem to indicate better performance (for what it's worth).
>  > Checkstyle is clean, code coverage improved with more tests and the
>  > refactoring that took place should make the code easier to maintain.
>  > Any comments - and especially some committers cycles to review JEXL-60 -
>  > would be very helpfull at this late stage; the patch is "heavy" so is in a
>  > tar.gz form, instructions to apply in JEXL-60.
>
> <snap/>
>
>  Haven't looked at it, but does it also contain docs to address JEXL-43 as well?
>
>  If not, thats the main remaining pending item for a v2.0 IMO.
>

>  > Some Jexl-users feedback (from API to doc and real-world perf) would also be
>  > appreciated if anyone interested has time to spare.
>
> <snip/>
>
>  Yes indeed.

Now that the code requires Java 1.5, there are a lot of complaints
from the Eclipse compiler about Type Safety and Raw Types. I think
these should ideally be fixed.

Findbugs complains:

There is an apparent infinite recursive loop in Interpreter:

    public void setAttribute(Object object, Object attribute, Object value) {
        setAttribute(object, attribute, null);
    }

Also complains: forgets to throw the Exception for:
        if (node == null) {
            new UnsupportedOperationException("unable to set object property, "
                            + "object:" + object + ", property: " + attribute);
        }

There are some other more minor complaints, e.g. use Byte.valueOf()
rather than new Byte();

Is Jexl 2.0 compliant with BSF 3.0 (JSR-223)?
If not, it would be useful to add this. I can help with that.

The JavaCC generator unforunately generates some rather unsafe code
(e.g. writable public static String arrays); I don't know if it is
possible to fix this.