commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Codec 1.4 based on RC2
Date Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:29:29 GMT
Gary Gregory a écrit :

> Actually, RequiredCharsetNames is like [lang]'s CharEncoding [1] (http://commons.apache.org/lang/api/org/apache/commons/lang/CharEncoding.htm).
But we've never wanted this kind of dependency from codec->lang.

> In work code, we have used [lang]'s CharEncoding and our own similar classes to provide
what should be in the JRE IMO. There is definitely a need for (1) having the required-always-there
charset names defined somewhere and (2) having some utility methods that provide unchecked
exception version of some common operations. In this case, the common operations are inspired
by refactorings in codec itself.

> As I have seen in other projects, we could copy [lang]'s CharEncoding to [codec] to make
things more consistent. Well, in this case, that is just renaming RequiredCharsetNames to
CharEncoding, which be more recognizable for people already familiar with [lang]. That seems
like a good change.

I think I would rather hardcode the charsets in the classes than
introduce a public class. Aligning the name on the one in [lang] is a
good idea.

Emmanuel Bourg