commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [codec] Are we ready for Codec 1.4 RC4?
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:55:05 GMT
On 06/08/2009, Gary Gregory <GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]
to hold up a release. Aside from that, let's go!

>  >
>  > I just did a quick scan looking for any mutable variables.
>  > There are some variables which ought to be final; these are already
>  > documented as to be treated as final so no problem.
>  >
>  > The only exception is DoubleMetaphone.maxCodeLen, which needs
>  > revisiting for a later release.
>  >
>  > There is one package protected static final array, i.e.
>  > Base64.CHUNK_SEPARATOR (test code needs access)
>  >
>  > This could be fixed by adding a package protected accessor which
>  > returned a copy of the array and making the array private. That's not
>  > essential.
>

> The issue with a fix like this one and others issues reported by FindBugs is that the
fixes break binary compatibility (for example, org.apache.commons.codec.net.URLCodec.ESCAPE_CHAR
is not final but should be.) Sure, no one is probably changing ESCAPE_CHAR, but binary compatibility
can only be broken in a major release (2.0, 3.0, etc)

In this particular case, the array is package protected, and as such
surely does not form part of the _public_ API?

If we are not changing it to private now, perhaps we should add a
comment to say the array will be made private in a future release?