commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [codec] Are we ready for Codec 1.4 RC4?
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:48:39 GMT

The CPD reports to duplicated code that we could address, but this is not critical enough
to hold up a release. Aside from that, let's go!

> I just did a quick scan looking for any mutable variables.
> There are some variables which ought to be final; these are already
> documented as to be treated as final so no problem.
>
> The only exception is DoubleMetaphone.maxCodeLen, which needs
> revisiting for a later release.
>
> There is one package protected static final array, i.e.
> Base64.CHUNK_SEPARATOR (test code needs access)
>
> This could be fixed by adding a package protected accessor which
> returned a copy of the array and making the array private. That's not
> essential.

The issue with a fix like this one and others issues reported by FindBugs is that the fixes
break binary compatibility (for example, org.apache.commons.codec.net.URLCodec.ESCAPE_CHAR
is not final but should be.) Sure, no one is probably changing ESCAPE_CHAR, but binary compatibility
can only be broken in a major release (2.0, 3.0, etc)

> Otherwise looks OK to me.

Agreed.

Gary