commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:36:49 GMT
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Oliver Heger
<oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> Am 14.07.2011 21:01, schrieb Matt Benson:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Gary Gregory<garydgregory@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> -1, let's pick up the committed fix for
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-720
>>>
>>> I recall seeing traffic in the escape/unescape area so it makes sense to
>>> polish this new code as much as possible IMO.
>>>

>> Potential argument against:  it's new code, and only broken for
>> surrogate planes, so won't affect that many users.
>> Potential argument for:  it's new code, and releasing it broken may
>> harm its reputation from the outset.
>>
>> -0 to the release from me.
>
> Well, if the fix is already in SVN, I would also prefer to include it in the
> release. I hope, Hen does not loose his patience...

I have a 3 month old, a 3 year old and a 6 year old. There are entire
worlds left of my patience to be explored before you guys even get
close to it being lost :)

That said - if it's not a binary compatibility issue I would prefer to
release now and then release again with a 3.0.1. My firm intent is to
keep shoving releases at commons-dev@ as fast as it can stomach them.
I can promise that if we roll again there will be another minor bug
[for example there's already 11 bugs in 3.x, with
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-708 being one that needs
fixing quickly in a bugfix release].

Hen

Hen