commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [functor] Method 'XXX' is not designed for extension
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:11:12 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Simone Tripodi
<simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Matthew!
>
> agreed on such 3rd parties integrations you are speaking about, Google
> Guice would suffer the same (I'm not a fan of Spring :P)
>
> Anyway, as you already mentioned, it is a matter of design, IMHO
> subclassing those classes wouldn't have a lot of sense, since they are
> used to implement a kind of "expression language" - I would be scared
> if in my language I could change the semantic of my syntax...
>
> At the same time I wonder if it would make sense intercepting such
> calls... didn't think to any valid example, do you have one?
>
> Since I'm not the original author of [functor] and I'm just providing
> help to get it in a state to be released, better if more people are
> involved before doing any action :P

Disclaimer:  I am also not the original author, nor am I any master of
FP... on the one hand, many of the complete
algorithm/comparator/composite implementations provided by [functor]
could probably be sensibly made final.  On the other hand, applying
this check to #equals(), #hashCode(), etc., seems pretty stupid.
Maybe we should just turn it off.

Matt