commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.9 based on RC 1
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:13:02 GMT
Am 17.08.2012 23:58, schrieb sebb:
> On 17 August 2012 21:02, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> Am 17.08.2012 21:19, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Are the Clirr warning about constant value changes from 1.8 be an issue
>>> for
>>> existing clients?
>>> Or, are the values only used by [configuration] itself?
>>

>> the constants are only used internally. They belong to the parser for plist
>> configuration files (which is generated by JavaCC) and define its state
>> transition graph. They have changed because the parser now supports comments
>> in configuration files.
>
> If there is a need to add new constants in the future, can JavaCC be
> persuaded to add them at the end?
> This would avoid needless warnings in the Clirr report.
>
> Also, it would help if the release notes explained why the Clirr
> warnings are harmless to forestall any questions by users.

The affected class is not even part of the code base, it is generated
during the build process. If you have a look at the source code [1], you
will probably agree that it is hardly of any use for client
applications. Therefore, I think writing a warning in the release notes
will add more confusion than it helps.

Wouldn't it be better then to exclude the class from the Clirr report?
Will have to check whether this is possible. This could be done before
publishing the site for the next SNAPSHOT version and would not require
a new RC, right?

Oliver

[1]
http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.9rc1/xref/org/apache/commons/configuration/plist/PropertyListParserConstants.html