commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1375192 - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: changes/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/random/
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:24:55 GMT

On Aug 21, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Added: commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/random/RandomDataGenerator.java
>> --- commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/random/RandomDataGenerator.java
(added)
>> +++ commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/random/RandomDataGenerator.java
Mon Aug 20 19:53:57 2012
>> [...]
>> + *
>> + * @version $Id$
>> + */
>> +public class RandomDataGenerator implements RandomData, Serializable {
>> +
>> +    /** Serializable version identifier */
>> +    private static final long serialVersionUID = -626730818244969716L;
>> +
>> +    /** underlying random number generator */
>> +    private RandomGenerator rand = null;
>> +
>> +    /** underlying secure random number generator */
>> +    private SecureRandom secRand = null;
>
> Should this class be "Serializable"?

I think so, yes.  It maintains state and all members are serializable.  (Need to check to
make sure generators really are serializable).  Making it not serializable breaks EmpiricalDistribution.
 EmpiricalDistribution instances and others that include instances of this class as members
can be remoted.  I see that I forgot to generate serial version Id.  I will fix that if we
agree to leave it serializable.

Phil