commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject [configuration] Plan for 2.0
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:46:11 GMT
Hi all,

the pom was updated to make 2.0-SNAPSHOT the current development
version. This means we are free to implement major changes without
having to enforce binary backwards compatibility.

The question is: What are the goals for version 2.0? I would recommend
to define a clear focus so that the next release will not take too long.
Obviously there are already people waiting for a [configuration] version
compatible with [lang3].

Some points I have in mind are the following ones:
- Switch to [lang3]. This is the main reason for going to version 2.0
because this cannot be done in a binary compatible way.
- Improve thread safety and concurrent implementations in general.
- Rework reloading. This is related to the previous point because I
think the tight coupling of the current reloading implementation is one
of the root causes making the implementation of thread-safe
configurations so hard.
- Have a look at older Jira tickets which have been postponed because
they would break binary compatibility.

Any other points, wishes, or opinions? We should discuss the points
separately when it comes to their implementation.

Oliver