commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject [configuration] Should we remove list splitting for attributes in XMLConfiguration?
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:11:44 GMT
Currently XMLConfiguration allows setting multiple values for an
attribute node. (This is possible through the Configuration interface,
but of course not supported by XML.) When saving the configuration it
tries to encode the list as a comma-separated string. On reloading, such
strings are split again.

The implementation of this feature is pretty complex because points like
escaping delimiter characters have to be taken into account. I doubt
that it works in a reliable way in all possible constellations. OTOH, I
don't think that this functionality provides much value to users.

So, in short, I propose to remove this feature. I would change the
implementation to check for attributes with multiple values when the
configuration is to be saved. If such attributes are detected, an
exception can be thrown.

Any objections?
Oliver