commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject [BeanUtils] Plans for BeanUtils and BeanUtils2
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:15:45 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to discuss how the development of [BeanUtils] and [BeanUtils2] can
be continued.

The last release of BeanUtils (1.8.3) is now nearly 3 years ago and there
are 92 open issues in JIRA.
OTOH we've put quiet some effort into [BeanUtils2]. There are some issues
that have to be addressed* but the API is in a good shape.
But [BeanUtils2] is also a complete redesign of the API that is binary
incompatible with [BeanUtils].

Keeping this in mind I propose the following:
- promote [BeanUtils2] to proper; move it to a 2.0 branch in the beanutils
svn subtree.**
- fix all issues that can be fixed without breaking BC in [BeanUtils] to
push out a last bug fix release for users that don't want to swtich to a
new API.
- Make clear that BeanUtils 1.8.4 will be the last release of  the 1.x line.

WDYT?

Benedikt

* Some JavaDoc is still missing and we have to take a look at the caching.
AFAIK WeakHashMap is not the best choice for an in-memory-cache. We'll
discuss this in a separate thread.
** I don't know the exact formal process for this. What has to be done to
promote a component to proper? Does there have to be a formal vote by the
PMC?

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/