commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBUTILS] Pre RC for DBUTILS-2.0
Date Sat, 11 May 2013 12:56:32 GMT
On 11 May 2013 13:21, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, then you need to keep 1.6 so we do not loose the history.
>
> 2.0 should also include all fixes from 1.6.
>
> Do you plan on working on 2.0 and 1.6 in parallel? If not, I'd just finish
> 1.6, then do the big changes for 2.0, all from trunk.
>
> Otherwise, you'll need a 1.6 branch and do 2.0 in trunk, or the other way
> around.

That is the status quo: trunk is 1.6 and there is a branch for 2.0.

Note that these have different Maven coordinates and different package names.

Effectively they are two different products.
This is fine, as 2.0 is a major rewrite.

> But eventually, I think we'll want 2.0 in trunk. You'd also need to
> port any fixes you want for 1.6 from 2.0. Unless 1.6 is a more limited
> release that will not carry applicable fixes from 2.0.
>
> If it were me, I'd keep it simple and do 1.6, then 2.0, from trunk. ;)

Not simple if there is any need to maintain the two incompatible versions.