commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject [SCXML] Next major version number required package rename needed?
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:06:00 GMT
On 10/10/2013 09:39 PM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
<snip/>

>> Case in point: SCXML
>> If we are allowed to start working on this component shortly, we intend to,
>> and HAVE to switch to a 1.0 version first, as there already is a 0.9 version
>> release out, while we will need to move to newer JDK and incompatible API
>> changes anyway. At the same time, getting a final/stabalized 1.0 release out
>> most certainly will take several iterations.
> <snip/>
>
> Release version comparisons being what the are, we could go to v0.10,
> as in below (greater than sign implies more recent release version):
>
> 0.11 > 0.10 > 0.9

For the intended promotion of the SCXML J6 branch to trunk, I don't think that
would align with the Commons versioning scheme.

The SCXML J6 branch (which currently already uses version 1.0-SNAPSHOT) imposes
API breaking changes from the 0.9 release, as well as targets a newer JDK (1.6+).
AFAIK this will require a major version bump, hence should target version 1.0.

I thus intend to roll out a first intermediate release of this new trunk as
version 1.0-alpha-1 (as discussed earlier today in a separate thread).

What however is still unclear to me is if this also requires a package rename,
e.g. move from org.apache.commons.scxml.* -> org.apache.commons.scxml1.* ?

I got the impression from other discussions as well as from looking at other
components recent major versions, that this now also is a rule or policy within
Commons. But I can't find any specific writing about such 'policy'.
At least the online Versioning document doesn't say anything about it, or I must
be blindly overlooking it.

So my question is: is such package rename now a required rule, or more of a
convention?

And if this was established as a formal requirement, can someone point me out
the documentation (or maybe VOTE thread) for it?

Thanks, Ate