commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move Apache Commons to Git for SCM...
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:31:41 GMT
Am 11.10.2013 02:10, schrieb Phil Steitz:

>> On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Even I like git and use it daily, I will vote +0,5.
>>
>> Why other apache projects need to have their own commons-csv
>> repackaged release? why tomcat need to use a svn:external on dbcp
>> instead of a released version? why servicemix need to repackage all
>> commons jar to have proper osgi bundles?
>>
>> I simply believe moving to git won't fix those problems about the too
>> complicated release process which scare folks here to try releasing a
>> component!!
>> So no release happen at the end....
>>
> I agree that the release process is certainly a problem; but the big problem IMO is just
too many components for too few really active committers.  Once we actually have something
ready to release, we have generally been able to fumble our way through the process.  The
problem is getting there.

> I think the best thing we can do is focus on getting some things ready for release.
I will help on pool, DBCP, math.  I won't rob Mark of the oppty to rm pool2, but will help
;). All are welcome to join the fun cleaning up the docs and other loose ends on that and
then dbcp2.

> Who wants to step up to drive some other things  to release?
I plan to prepare a release of BeanUtils soon.

Oliver