commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move Apache Commons to Git for SCM...
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 07:13:16 GMT
On 13/10/2013 23:59, sebb wrote:
> On 13 October 2013 20:47, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/13/13 8:09 AM, James Carman wrote:
>>> Well, it has been 72 hours, so let's tally up the votes.  As I see it
>>> (counting votes on both lists):
>>>
>>> +1s
>>> James Carman
>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> Matt Benson
>>> Benedikt Ritter
>>> Bruno Kinoshita
>>> Gary Gregory
>>> Luc Maisonobe
>>> Oliver Heger
>>> Christian Grobmeier
>>> Torsten Curdt
>>>
>>> -1s
>>> Mark Thomas
>>> Thomas Vandahl
>>> Damjan Jovanovic
>>> Gilles Sadowski
>>> Jorg Schaible
>>>
>>> +0.5
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>>
>>> +0
>>> Ralph Goers
>>>
>>> -0
>>> Emmanuel Bourg
>>>
>>> The vote passes, so Apache Commons will be moving to Git for SCM.  We
>>> should begin working on a plan.  I propose we set up a wiki page for
>>> that.
>>
>> I protest.  It is fine for some components to experiment, but if we
>> are going to force all to move, we really need consensus and that is
>> clearly not the case here.  I did not vote as I frankly saw the VOTE
>> as premature.  We should use VOTEs as a last resort, not a first
>> step or way to avoid getting to consensus on non-release issues.
>
> I agree entirely with Phil.
>
> I would have voted -1 earlier, but was off-line for a few days.
> This is a huge change, and should not be bulldozed through.

I too challenge the assertion that there is consensus for this change.

I also agree with Sebb's characterisation of this being "bulldozed through".

I have no objection to a switch to git for those components where there
is consensus to do so amongst the active developers.

I continue to strongly recommend that a single component volunteers to
be the svn->git guinea pig for Commons and that we allow that component
to work out any issues that crop up before any mass switch starts. If
there are no issues, great. If there are issues, better to have to deal
with one set of them rather than 40+ sets.

Further, if the consensus amongst the active developers on a component
is that they wish to stick to svn, I see no why that component should be
forced to switch to git.

Mark