commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Moving to Git...
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:46:40 GMT
On 11 Oct 2013, at 15:28, Ted Dunning wrote:

> I hate myself a bit for jumping in here, but as much as I prefer git,
> really don't think that changing will make that much difference.

Well, obviously I think it matters (see my other threads).

> The problem with commons is that people have much more energy for
> interminable conversations about things that don't much matter (like
> this
> thread).

But this is a [VOTE] thread and not meant for discussion ;-)

> People who do things don't generally want to talk them to death.  If
> half
> the energy that goes into long debates went into coding for commons
> there
> wouldn't be a problem.  Long discussions about whether discussions
> about
> things that might make coding easier are even worse than a long
> discussions
> so I am now part of the problem.
>
> Perhaps a good rule of thumb would be no more than 5 email messages
> about
> non-code issues per patch that you have posted to a commons component.
> am probably at or beyond that limit so I will shut up and not respond
> further.

I don't see the Commons discussions as toxic in a way and can't agree
to a "mail / patch" ratio.

> Given that the open source community has gradually been re-inventing
> aspects of scientific society (salons = meetups, RS = ASF and so on)
> maybe
> it is time to invent something like peer review to moderate the long
> conversations.

Maybe you should just say -1 or whatever else you think and we tally the
votes afterwards.

Cheers
Christian

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <grobmeier@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> I consider this move to happen step by step and see only little risk
>> if we
>> start with a single component first.
>> As the half of the world works with git meanwhile I see less risk in
>> general too.
>>

>> On 10 Oct 2013, at 16:41, James Carman wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>>
>>> We have had some great discussions about moving our SCM to Git.  I
>>> think it's time to put it to a vote.  So, here we go:
>>>
>>> +1 - yes, move to Git
>>> -1 - no, do not move to Git
>>>
>>> The vote will be left open for 72 hours.  Go!
>>>
>>> James

>> ---
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> @grobmeier