commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Why is releasing such a pain and what can we do to make it easier?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:26:09 GMT
On 2013-10-14, sebb wrote:

> On 9 October 2013 05:43, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>> why vote on Nexus staged artifacts if the tarball is fine?  I'm not
>> talking about releasing to MC directly but rather about not pushing
>> anything to Nexus before the vote on the tarball has passed.  This could
>> reduce the release process to tagging and publishing the tarballs before
>> the vote.

> So where are you going to publish the tarballs?

dist svn

> At some point the tarballs are going to have to end up on Nexus
> anyway, so why not use it?

Not the tarballs, only the "maven artifacts" which I'd extract/build
from the tarballs.  I'd just delay that until after the vote.  Not sure
whether this is viable, and maybe it is just my poor network bandwidth
talking here but the actual act of uploading the artifacts eats up more
than half of the time of creating a RC and I'd like to avoid the wasted
time for RCs who's vote fails.

Stefan