commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Compress 1.6
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:05:42 GMT
On 2013-10-13, Phil Steitz wrote:

> I am sorry.  I forgot one other thing to verify.  The clirr report
> complains about dropping a field.  Is this spurious / not really an
> issue?

Ah yes, I should have talked about that.

It is a protected field in the Tar*Stream classes which should have
never been protected but was for hisorical reasons.

When the change was made a few month ago we concluded it would be
extremely unlikely that subclasses of said streams existed that used it,
in particular since the type of the protected field was a package
private class (TarBuffer).

The implementation has been changed considerably and the TarBuffer class
has even been removed - so if this change blocks the release the only
mitigation will be to revert the changes completely.  I'm fully prepared
to do that, if necessary.

Stefan