commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Git...
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:53:04 GMT

> On Oct 11, 2013, at 8:23 AM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Question for James - how many new committers did they get?  Random drive by pull
requests won't help us.  We already get more patches than we can evaluate and apply in a timely
fashion.  The key question is will the git move net us new committers. I suspect the answer
is yes but it would be great to hear from others that is the case.

> I don't know, but I'll see if I can come up with the numbers.
>
> One thing to keep in mind with those numbers is that Apache Camel is a
> lot less "approachable" than most of the stuff here at Commons. Our
> projects, for the most part, are made up of common little bits of code
> that most folks have either written or thought about how to write on
> their projects (thinking of stuff like StringUtils and the like).
> Camel's code, when you start digging into it, is very difficult to try
> to understand (not saying it's poorly written or anything; it's just a
> tougher problem space).

Definitely relevant for math, pool, DBCP which are getting better but still have an "approachability"
problem.

Phil