commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Git...
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 06:58:29 GMT
On 8 Oct 2013, at 6:53, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> Hi
>
> Not sure svn is the issue. What makes quality and which rules are
> mandatory
> is more important IMO.

If you want to attract a new generation it is important. Would you
contribute to a CVS project?
I would if you need it urgently for work. But in my prime time I simply
don't have an
interest to install an cvs client no matter how cool the software is. I
think a projects infrastructure
is first entry barrier for contributing.

Personally I have learned about git and it took me a while. I am not a
super-hero but I enjoy it.

Btw, Guava uses Git too:
https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/source/checkout

> Following oracle java version (with a single one late - java 6 when
> java 7
> is the current one) is one key i think.
>
> Another one would be to remove project from main sources/proper when
> nobody
> needs work on it anymore.
>
> Separating each projects too...what a noise on commons cause of not
> following it + which link between csv and math -> consistency? NB: no
> project is too small.
> Le 8 oct. 2013 04:15, "James Ring" <sjr@jdns.org> a écrit :
>
>> Whatever workflow we came up with, if we moved to Git I'd like to see
>> Gerritt (https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/) used for code review.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM, James Carman
>> <james@carmanconsulting.com>
>> wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> If we did want to move to Git, we'd probably have to figure out how
>>> we'd manage our "workflow" (couldn't think of a better word).  I
>>> suppose we'd have a separate repo for each component?  What about
>>> proper vs. sandbox?  How would we accommodate that paradigm?  Has
>>> anyone else already gone through this thought process?  I must
>>> admit,
>>> my git fu isn't what it should be.
>>>
>>> James

---