commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Git...
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 22:05:27 GMT
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

> I would suggest that a lack of releases is a much greater barrier. Folks
> who contribute patches do so because they want to see them in a release.
> If there are no releases (and looking back for the past 6 months there
> have been very few releases considering the number of components in
> commons) then, frankly, a move to git is largely irrelevant. What it
> will do little is distract what little effort there is going into
> releases making the overall problem worse not better.

It's a catch-22.  You don't have releases because you don't have
contributors.  And, you don't have contributors because you don't have
releases.  I agree we need to get busy cranking out some code to let
folks know we're not dead (yet).  The only way I see us getting more
code going is to get new people and I honestly believe that using a
tool like Git will help us do that.