commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Mission Statement for Commons...
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 14:14:45 GMT
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> We discuss magic strings in the sandbox. Why? We don't need to discuss that.
> Before we release we can simply check Sonar. Safe the time to discuss. Fix
> it or leave it to Sonar to report it.

+1!  This sort of behavior definitely has to stop.  It frustrates our
contributors.  Nobody wants to get into lengthy discussions about this
level of minutiae.  I know some folks have given up, because they
don't want to have to debate every little change they make.  We vote
people in because they have the technical chops and have proven
themselves.  They don't need a babysitter!  Perhaps we should all
watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q52kFL8zVoM

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to know that we have people so dedicated
to the project that they are willing to monitor every single commit
message that comes through (I don't have that kind of time), but
perhaps that time would be better spent coding.  If you see something
you think needs more documentation, then go document it.  If you think
a refactoring is in order (like introducing a constant, extract
method, etc.), then go do it.  Don't spend more of your time (and
theirs) writing up emails telling someone else to do it.  Do it
yourself!

For me, if you *have* to document your code, then you've failed.  Your
code should be self-documenting.  Comments eventually get out of sync
with the code and then you've got one big mess on your hands.  Write
clear, elegant code and you don't have to worry about documentation.