commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Creating Project for Release Process Testing...
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 01:21:11 GMT

On Oct 13, 2013, at 4:31 PM, sebb wrote:

> Recently, I found that the Maven project RMs don't bother removing these.
> So the files are released to Maven Central with the rest.
> I assume that the Maven Central administrators don't care about the
> extra space needed.
>
> Now ASF source releases must be provided via the ASF mirror system.
> There does not seem to be any ruling on whether having additional
> copies of the source release elsehere is allowed or not.
>
> I tried asking on Infra whether source releases should only be
> published to the ASF mirror system, but got no answer.
> Perhaps someone else would like to try?
>
> It would obviously be a lot easier if the Nexus directory did not have
> to be purged of these files, as this has to be carefully co-ordinated
> with copying the files for the ASF mirror SVN repo.

Whether they have to be removed or not as a user I find them being published to Maven central
to be annoying since they are pretty much useless as Maven artifacts.

>> I gave up trying to remove the absurd .asc.sha1 and
>> .asc.md5 files for JCI, there was too many of them (12 files per
>> artifact, 6 artifacts).
>
> That could be automated (I started working on a tool to do this, but
> other things intervened).
> It's a long-standing Maven bug. The files can be left, but it makes
> checking the directory tedious.

See http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide step 11c.  I'm not sure why rm *.asc.md5
is a problem.  Even if they are in separate directories the find command works pretty well.

Ralph