commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [MATH] Interest in large patches for small cleanup / performance changes?
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:03:02 GMT
Le 03/11/2013 20:17, Ted Dunning a écrit :
> On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Luc Maisonobe <luc@spaceroots.org> wrote:
>
>>> I had proposed that error messages be incrementally built from simple
>>> "base" patterns, to be assembled either at the point where the exception
>>> is going to be thrown or inside specific exceptions[2] (or a combination
>>> of both).
>>
>> It often doesn't work. Sentences constructions are completely different
>> in different languages, and it is impossible to simply buid up from
>> elementary components that are individually translated and assembled
>> later. See all the documentation about the ancient gettext for example.
>

> Modern printf implementations deal with this by numbered arguments.  This
> is not a problem any more.

Which means you have a complete message with a sentence that simply has
placeholders for variables parts. What I understand about Gilles
proposal is to go further in the way of small blocks like COLUMN_INDEX,
CONSTRAINT, EVALUATION, INDEX, NORM, and build up from there. Is it what
was initially meant?

Luc