commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [MATH] Interest in large patches for small cleanup / performance changes?
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:08:24 GMT
Le 04/11/2013 00:59, Gilles a écrit :
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 15:33:12 -0800, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> I think that a message good enough to convey the cause of the
>>> failure can
>>> in many cases be built from such blocks. I concede that it may not be
>>> perfectly formulated in a natural language, but even if it where,
>>> the error
>>> message are _rarely_ if ever clear,
>>
>> I disagree with that statement.  I think we have in general done a
>> pretty good job producing clear, understandable exception error
>> messages, which are very useful to users of a library.
>
> My statement is not that the error message is not a well written
> English (or French) sentence. It is that being in a correct natural
> language does not help in figuring out what the caller code did to
> trigger the error.
> The low level cause can be conveyed with the "little blocks" too.
>
> It seems we go in circles; every time I have to assure that I do
> not, and never did, propose to suppress error messages!
>
> What I suggested is to try and see whether the "ExceptionContext"
> can be used more.

Exceptioncontext has been add more than two years ago (revision 1099771,
2011-05-05). Since then its setValue method is called in only two places
in regular code (not counting test code): in SymmLQ.java and in
ConjugateGradient, so this key/value features seems a failure to me. Its
message part on the other hand is used everywhere, and I even use it
outside of Commons Math since I introduced the ExceptionContextProvider
interface in September 2001 (we had a short discussion about it there:
<http://markmail.org/message/q7gv5mqx62w735pc>).

So I agree ExceptionContext is a useful class, and perhaps it would need
some changes. As per the comments above, I would suggest to further
improve the used part, typically allowing to retrieve the patterns and
arguments which I really miss, as the patterns are already set
everywhere and can be used externally to also identify a particular
exception. I have no real idea about improving the currently almost
unused key/value feature, but fear it would imply a tremendous work.

>> For the code
>> I work on, I will continue to do that, whatever contortions are
>> required to create them.  I personally don't mind working with the
>> message pattern setup we have.  The one improvement I would
>> appreciate / incrementally help with is an attempt at organizing
>> them a little better.
>
> That was the purpose of my suggestions, which came up to implementing
> the "ExceptionContext".
> Again, this may not be the answer to all wishes in matter of conveying
> error information, but how will we know if we don't even try?
>
> It is quite possible that many duplicates ended up in the error
> message list just because it was easy to miss the one that should have
> been reused or that the existing ones where not quite appropriate to
> the exception being thrown.

This may be true, but finding it is also a lot of work, with little
benefit. Feel free to do it if you want, though.

best regards,
Luc