commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] src/userguide/java
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:22:02 GMT
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:36:42 +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 12/29/2013 03:39 PM, Gilles wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there some framework in place in order to generate executable
>> files
>> from the Java sources located there?
>> I guess that a configuration snippet could be added in the
>> "pom.xml"[1]
>> so that one of the build phases can also compile (and perhaps also
>> run)
>> the example applications.
>
> Hi Gilles,
>
> if you use eclipse with the m2eclipse plugin you can have separate
> projects for commons-math3 and the examples. Otherwise you would need
> install the artifacts of commons-math3 into your local repository
> with
> mvn install.

Since all the source code being available in a sibling directory, it
seems that it should be possible to twist the build file so it can find
any requirement there.

> To compile the examples as part of the normal build process we would
> need to create a parent pom for commons math3 with packaging type
> pom.

Being a very basic maven user, I cannot follow this.

What I had in mind in something similar to the "tools" JAR being built
with selected classes from the "test" repository (search for the string
"commons-math3-tools" in the CM's "pom.xml"). [By the way, I've just
noticed the following line there:
   <attribute name="Extension-Name" value="org.apache.commons.net" />
and the reference to "commons.net" seems to be bug...]

Then, using the generated JAR, one should be able to run any of the
"main" methods in the included class files.

Gilles