commons-dev mailing list archives

From Woonsan Ko <woon_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Deprecated 'src' attributes in state, parallel and assign
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:25:58 GMT

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:48 PM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

On 12/05/2013 11:26 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The current code is taking care of 'src' attribute for state, parallel, assign and
invoke element.
>> Invoke element should still accept 'src' attribute, but it seems to have been removed
for the other elements in the current specification.

>The src atttribute for state and parallel was removed from the specification
>several years ago, May 2010, with the suggestion to use the xinclude standard
>instead.
>See: http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-scxml-20100513/#files

Ah, thanks for the reference!
We might probably want to know if the current implementation can support xinclude.

>> Do we need to deprecate (and remove later) the current behavior for those elements
except of invoke element?
>> Or is there still any good reason to keep the feature for some reason (e.g, overriding
something from the 'src' for state/parallel element as a commons-scxml feature) ?

>Deprecate seems the reasonable thing to do as the xinclude solution is said to
>provide a superior version of the same functionality. But that should be
>validated and properly tested first before dropping the current implementation.
>But that shouldn't happen anyway until the next major release for SCXML, after
>the 2.0 release.

Surely we wouldn't want to drop those at this moment. Deprecation can be done though.

>Side note: the <data> and <script> elements also have optional usage of an

>external src, not just <invoke>.

Yeah, I was aware of that. I listed those elements from SCXMLReader code where I guess the
*current code* takes care of 'src' attributes only for those listed elements.

Cheers,

Woonsan