commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] src/userguide/java
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2013 20:38:44 GMT
On 12/29/2013 06:22 PM, Gilles wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:36:42 +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
>> On 12/29/2013 03:39 PM, Gilles wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Is there some framework in place in order to generate executable files
>>> from the Java sources located there?
>>> I guess that a configuration snippet could be added in the "pom.xml"[1]
>>> so that one of the build phases can also compile (and perhaps also run)
>>> the example applications.
>>
>> Hi Gilles,
>>
>> if you use eclipse with the m2eclipse plugin you can have separate
>> projects for commons-math3 and the examples. Otherwise you would need to
>> install the artifacts of commons-math3 into your local repository with
>> mvn install.
>
> Since all the source code being available in a sibling directory, it
> seems that it should be possible to twist the build file so it can find
> any requirement there.
>
>> To compile the examples as part of the normal build process we would
>> need to create a parent pom for commons math3 with packaging type pom.
>
> Being a very basic maven user, I cannot follow this.
>
> What I had in mind in something similar to the "tools" JAR being built
> with selected classes from the "test" repository (search for the string
> "commons-math3-tools" in the CM's "pom.xml"). [By the way, I've just
> noticed the following line there:
>   <attribute name="Extension-Name" value="org.apache.commons.net" />
> and the reference to "commons.net" seems to be bug...]
>
> Then, using the generated JAR, one should be able to run any of the
> "main" methods in the included class files.

The reason why I created a separate directory with a separate pom.xml
was to be able to include various dependencies, like xchart or others as
needed.

Of course, we could add them with scope "test" to the main pom of CM and
move the userguide directory to the test folder and create a -examples
jar similar to the -tools jar.

This was something I had in mind first, but there was not really a
consensus and I wanted to move on with this stuff.

So I am open to make this part of CM more accessible, for now it mainly
serves myself as testbed for small little demos / screenshots for the
userguide.

Thomas