commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] simplifying releases: dist vs. maven repo
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 20:34:01 GMT
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/13, 11:34 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> dist. A
> >> our

> >> The releases need to be mirrored.  That's what dist is for.
> >>
> > How is this not the same thing that happens with the Maven repo, which is
> > mirrored all over as well? Please educate/correct me.
>
> See Mark's comments.  We need to either say we are not directly
> providing artifacts to users (not acceptable, IMO),

We are, for example:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/

> or direct users
> to mirrors.

Which could point to Maven Central and the like.

The way dist and the various download cgis work is that
> users are directed to download the artifacts from mirrors near them,
> not directly from ASF servers.   I guess we could in theory direct
> them to maven central, but that makes me a little twitchy as we
> don't really control or monitor the process of mirroring there.

As noted above, we control
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/

Gary

> So if we are going to distribute directly, we should continue to do
> it from dist.  Mark also makes a good point about archives.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/ behaves like
an archive since it keeps old versions.

Gary