commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject [all] simplifying releases: dist vs. maven repo
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 02:50:33 GMT
Hi All:

We talk on and off as to how painful it is to release components.

One of these pains is that we distribute to multiple places: An Apache
"dist" folder and the Apache Maven repository.

Clearly, Maven is here to stay.

So why not deploy the -src and -bin files to Maven and forget about dist. A
URL is a URL, what do users care is the URL points deep into "dist" or our
Maven repo. I for one, need the -bin zips for certain Apache projects
(JMeter, ActiveMQ) so my Ant Ivy builds can download and install them.

I know we have some legal requirements to host at least the sources and
that we provide binaries as a "courtesy" but does it matter _where_ the
files are on Apache servers?

Thoughts?

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com