commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Votes and staging repositories
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 16:09:54 GMT
On 21 December 2013 15:41, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a side note to the ongoing vote for [codec]:
>
> The vote mail points to the staging repository containing all maven
> artifacts including the distributions. When the release is done, the
> repository has to be cleaned to remove the files which should not go to
> Maven central. This is a manual and error-prone process.

So far...

I did do some work on trying to automate it, but I found the Nexus API
very hard to understand.

It's easy enough to download the non-Maven files using http(s) and
commit them (svnmucc) to dist/dev or a personl login on people,
but deleting files from Nexus seems to be quite tricky. Of course that
is where errors are most critical.

Having said that, the Maven project does not bother with deleting the
non-Maven files.
I've not been able to establish whether Maven Central has any limits
on what files can be uploaded.
I assume that the ASF does not care if additional copies of files are
available from Maven Central so long as the primary distribution of
source is from the ASF mirrors, but I have not been able to get a
ruling on this.

If anyone else would like to pursue those questions, please do so!

> So may I suggest the following change in our release process: Before
> calling a vote, the staging repository should already be in a state that
> it only contains the files to be released to Maven central. The
> distributions should be added to the dist repository, and the vote mail
> should point to them separately.

Just double-checking:

That needs to be the dist/dev repostory - i.e. the staging area - not
dist/release which is synced with the live dist area.

> Then people checking the release can verify the staging repository, too,
> and the likelihood that something goes wrong when cutting the release is

s/cutting/deploying/ ?

> reduced.

+1