commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Votes and staging repositories
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 16:37:46 GMT
On 21 December 2013 16:25, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 December 2013 15:41, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > a side note to the ongoing vote for [codec]:
>> >
>> > The vote mail points to the staging repository containing all maven
>> > artifacts including the distributions. When the release is done, the
>> > repository has to be cleaned to remove the files which should not go to
>> > Maven central. This is a manual and error-prone process.
>>
>> So far...
>>
>> I did do some work on trying to automate it, but I found the Nexus API
>> very hard to understand.
>>
>> It's easy enough to download the non-Maven files using http(s) and
>> commit them (svnmucc) to dist/dev or a personl login on people,
>> but deleting files from Nexus seems to be quite tricky. Of course that
>> is where errors are most critical.
>>

> (Trying not to rant ;)
> I would prefer to click Release in Nexus with the staging repo as it is,
> including the -bin and -src files.
>
> I have, _several times_, deleted the wrong .asc, .md5 or .something file
> such that Nexus would not release, this is a !@#$ nightmare. Especially
> since you have to manually use the Nexus Web UI to delete

Yes, it does need a lot of care when tidying up Nexus; the UI is not
well designed (e.g. the name of the object you are deleting is not
shown in the dialog)

However, it should be tidied before closing the staging area, in which
case it's easy to start again.

> Releasing the pile, would let me download 'buildable' artifacts. I wish
> JMeter and ActiveMQ did that for example, this way I could install from
> Maven directly and not have to feed my work Artifact repo with the -bin
> zips.

As I've already written, JMeter release all its jars to Maven already.
If ActiveMQ does not release all the required jars, then raise an
enhancement issue with them.